Thursday, January 12, 2012

2012...And So It Begins

2011 was a strange 'workout' year for me. Since I discovered Cathe Friedrich's workouts (which are FANTASTIC, by the way) in 2003, her workouts were pretty much all I did for four years straight.

In 2007, to avoid overuse injuries and burnout, I began dabbling in other instructor's workouts (Amy Bento, Shaun T., Powerstrike, Seasun Zieger, and others).

Then in 2010 I mixed it up a bit more and introduced Kelly Coffey-Meyer into the mix. I really like her workouts. I also discovered and purchased my first kettlebell and kettlebell workout. I couldn't really figure out how to fit kettlebells into my antiquated version of the way things should be done (an hour of cardio at a time, an hour of weights at a time). Tabata baffled me.

2011 was funky. And not Hip Hop Cardio funky. I took LOTS of time away from my regular routine. I took a full month off of working out. No working out out at all. I hadn't taken off more than four days in a row in 7 years. I took a kettlebell class with an RKC instructor. I shortened my workouts. I did not change the way I ate (which is absolutely horrible, by the way. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. I admit that it is beyond bad, and I know that I need to change). But guess what? With taking all that time off and working out a lot less often and with a lot less intensity - I didn't gain weight. I didn't lose definition (granted, I don't have much definition given my penchant for Fun Size Snickers in mass, mass quantities), but in the right light and when I've had enough water and not too much salt and the mirror is tilted to certain, advantageous angles, it's there). And I didn't lose strength.

2012 is going to be an adventure. I am going to try to eat better but NOT because I want to lose weight. That has always been my goal, and I have yet to lose any weight! I am going to eat better because I owe it to my body. I am going to do workouts I want to do. And I have soooooo many workout DVDs that I've never even tried!! My plan is to try a different workout a day (on the days I work out), until I've tried them all. It's going to be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment